Fully funded PhD Student Position. Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Madrid, Spain)
The Department of Telematics Engineering offers a fully funded PhD position under Prof. Rubén Cuevas’ supervision in the area of computer science and telecommunications to address challenging research problems in the following areas:
- Internet Measurements
- Privacy and Transparency in Internet Services
The candidate will have the opportunity to conduct research in a highly international collaboration environment, including internal collaboration at UC3M with different departments and institutes (Economics, Statistics, Marketing, Big Data Institute) as well as external collaboration with top institutions across Europe and US (e.g., MIT, SMU, Max Plank Institute, IMDEA Networks, etc).
The research conducted in these areas in the last years have been published in top conferences and journals from Computer Science but also General Science conferences and journals (such as Usenix Security, WWW, ACM CHI, ACM HotNets, ACM CoNEXT, PNAS, Nature Scientific Reports, Communications of the ACM, ACM/IEEE Transactions on Networking, etc).
Moreover, our work has also attracted systematically the attention of most renowned media outlets (such as The Financial Times, BBC, The Guardian, Corriere della Sera, Le Figaro, New Scientists, El Pais, etc). Following this trend, we are seeking students motivated to have high impact in both academia and society.
UC3M is located in Madrid, one of the most livable and enjoyable cities in Europe, which offers an exceptional quality of life as well as an extensive offer of recreational activities. Madrid has also become a technology hub in the South of Europe with top research institutions (such as the renown IMDEA institutes), multinational companies with their research labs established in the region, and a very active start-up ecosystem with whom we have very well established connections.
The offered position includes a fully-funded package with competitive salaries, PhD tuition fees and full health coverage by one of the top health systems world-wide.
You can check further details about the research, papers and projects we are involved at my webpage (https://www.it.uc3m.es/rcuevas) and my google scholar profile (https://scholar.google.es/citations?user=lGuDTyAAAAAJ&hl)
**If you meet most but not all the requirements, I strongly recommend you to apply
- A Master degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, Data Science or related fields (outstanding candidates with a Bachelor degree may also be considered)
- Good academic record
- Fluent in English (Spanish is not a requirement for this position)
- Theoretical knowledge and experience with the following technologies and programming languages:
o Crawling/Scrapping the web and popular applications (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN)
o Networking programming skills
o Basic Machine Learning Knowledge
- Conduct high quality research to deliver papers to be published in top conference and journals and seeking impact further than the academic community.
- Participation in R&D projects funded by the European Union.
- Participate in transfer knowledge projects with private companies.
- Interested candidates should contact me (email@example.com) through email including the following documentation:
o A curriculum vitae
o A statement of interest explaining why you want to be selected for this position
o Copy of your academic record (no need for an official document)
o Recommendation letters from at least two referees, as well as, their contact information.